Women’s T20 World Cup: Team India, captained by Harmanpreet, registered an easy 6-wicket victory over the West Indies in the ongoing Women’s T20 World Cup in South Africa. This is India’s eighth consecutive win over West Indies in T20 cricket. This is India’s second consecutive win in this World Cup. With this win, the Indian team has moved closer to the semi-finals. India’s next match will be against England on 18 February.
Women’s T20 World Cup
India Women beat West Indies Women by 6 wickets at Newlands, Cape Town
— All India Radio News (@airnewsalerts) February 15, 2023
Batting first after winning the toss, West Indies scored 118 runs for 6 wickets in 20 overs at the Cape Town ground. Stephanie Taylor scored the highest 42 runs from the team. While Shemaine Campbell contributed 30 runs. At the same time, captain Haley Mathews (2 runs) was dismissed early. Deepti took maximum of three wickets. She was elected player of the match.
In response, Team India lost 4 wickets and scored the required runs for victory in the 19th over. Captain Harmanpreet Kaur and Richa Ghosh’s half-century partnership played an important role in this victory. Both added 72 runs for the fourth wicket. Kaur scored 33 and Richa Ghosh scored 44 runs.
Karishma Ramhark took two wickets from West Indies. While Hayley Mathews and Chinelle Henry got one wicket each.
Shefali-Mandhana gave a fast start
Opener Shefali Verma and Smriti Mandhana got Team India off to a brisk start. The Indian team scored 28 runs in the first two overs, although the pair could not last long and Mandhana returned to the pavilion with a team score of 32 runs. At the same time, Shefali Verma played an inning of 28 runs.
This is how India’s wickets fell
- First: Karishma Ramhark got Smriti Mandhana stumped by wicketkeeper Rashda Williams on the third ball of the fourth over.
- Second: Haley Mathews caught and bowled Jemima Rodriguez on the 5th ball of the fourth over.
- Third: Shefali wanted to play a big shot, but was caught by Effie Fletcher at square leg off Ramhark’s ball.
- Fourth: Captain Harmanpreet Kaur was caught out on Henry’s ball in the 18th over.
Windies gave a target of 119 runs, and Deepti completed 100 wickets
West Indies gave India a target of 119 runs. Spinner Deepti Sharma took three wickets from the Indian team. He has 100 wickets in T20 International. Deepti took the wickets of Effie Fletcher (0 runs), Stafanie Taylor (42 runs) and Shemaine Campbell (30 runs). Apart from Deepti, Renuka and Pooja Vastrakar got one wicket each.
West Indies wickets fell like this
- First: On the very first ball of the second over, Pooja Vastrakar got Hayley Mathews caught by Richa Ghosh.
- Second: On the third ball of the 14th over, Deepti got Campbell caught by Smriti Mandhana.
- Third: Deepti made Stephanie Taylor LBW on the last ball of the 14th over.
- Fourth: Smriti and Richa run out Henry on the second ball of the 15th over.
- Fifth: Shabika was bowled by Renuka Singh on the last ball of the 19th over.
- Sixth: Deepti bowled Fletcher on the second ball of the 20th over.
Taylor-Campbell added 73 runs
After the early dismissal of captain Hayley Mathews, Stafanie Taylor and Shemaine Campbell shared a 74-ball 73-run partnership for the second wicket. As soon as this partnership broke, two wickets fell one after the other. Taylor was dismissed for 42 and Campbell for 30(Women’s T20 World Cup).